Rapid delivery of library materials
LINKin is a new service provided by a grant-funded partnership between Skokie Public Library, Arlington Heights Memorial Library, Cook Memorial Public Library District, Deerfield Public Library, and Gail Borden Public Library. The service offers quick access to the collections of the partner libraries when materials are not available at Skokie Public Library. If an item is not available for checkout at Skokie Public Library and is available at one of the partner libraries, the item will be sent to Skokie Public Library within three or four days. Patrons will be notified by phone or email when the item is ready for pickup.
Skokie Public Library cardholders can use LINKin to request items that are checked out or not owned by Skokie Public Library. However, new materials CANNOT be borrowed through the LINKin service.
How does LINKin work?
- Search the Skokie Public Library catalog to see if the item is available for checkout.
- If the item is not available, click on the Search Partner Libraries button to pass your search on to the LINKin catalog.
- If a partner library has the item, the LINKin catalog will display a catalog record for the item, the number of libraries that own it, and a Request this Item link.
- Click on the Request this Item link.
- If the item is available for checkout, the catalog will request the name of the library with which you are affiliated. Select Skokie Public from the drop-down menu and then click the Submit above information button.
- Next, type your name and Skokie Public Library card barcode number in the spaces provided. Click the SUBMIT button.
- If your request is successful, the catalog will display "your request was successful" and the transaction is complete. Skokie Public Library will notify you when the item is ready for pickup.
- If the item is not available for borrowing from one of the LINKin
partner libraries, the catalog will display an explanation. For example:
Sorry, no copies available for requests.
No copies are available at this time. Please check with your local library.
You cannot use LINKin to request items that are available at your institution.
Please contact the Readers' Services desk at 847.673.7774 for assistance with incomplete transactions or general questions about the LINKin service.