at Skokie Public Library
From time to time, both full and part time job openings occur. Positions include supervisory and non-supervisory, librarians, information assistants, computer assistants, catalogers, shelvers, clerks, and maintenance personnel.
Part-time volunteer opportunities are also available at Skokie Public Library. These opportunities may be regularly scheduled, or may occur on an as-needed basis for special projects. Anyone over the age of 14 may apply to be a volunteer. Volunteer opportunities may include reading to the blind, helping patrons use computers, clerical responsibilities, assisting children with crafts, helping librarians plan programming for teens or other patrons, or cleaning library videos.
Applications for paid positions are only accepted for positions listed below. Applications for volunteer positions are available Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm in the Administration Office on the third floor of the Library. Completed applications are kept on file for one year and are often the primary source for filling job openings.
Are you a creative, passionate, and agile leader who has a strong understanding of reference and advisory services for public libraries? Do you have a vision for how libraries can provide people with accurate, timely information and spot-on recommendations for books, movies, and music? Bring your experience and expertise to Skokie Public Library as its new Adult Services Manager.
As a member of the management team, the Adult Services Manager will take the initiative to explore new ideas and trends impacting services to adults. This work will involve frequent collaboration with other leaders in the organization and developing a talented group of reference and advisory staff. Strong communication skills are essential.
The successful candidate will also have an MLS degree from an ALA-accredited Library school and at least three years of supervising others and working in public libraries. Knowledge of current reference and advisory resources and practices, as well as broader library industry trends, is a must.
- MLS degree from an ALA-accredited Library school
- Minimum of three years of experience working in public libraries
- Minimum of three years of supervisory experience
Job functions may include:
- Directly supervises reference and advisory staff
- Designs and evaluates service model for reference and advisory services
- Oversees schedules and ensures seamless staffing for all adult points of service
- Hires, manages, trains, and reviews performance of staff
- Collaborates with members of administration and management team to ensure successful library operations
- Contributes to public services in the library building, online, and in the community
- Maintains current knowledge of libraries and other relevant industries (e.g., education, technology, and publishing)
- Analyzes statistics and outcome measures; shares findings with administration and Board
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Salary range: $56,071 to $84,106
Submit cover letter and resume by 5:00pm on Friday, August 8, 2014 to:
Beth Dostert, Manager of Human Resources
Skokie Public Library
5215 Oakton Street
Skokie, Illinois 60077
Send an message to Beth Dostert
No phone calls, please.
Check us out!
Skokie Public Library is an equal opportunity employer, located just west of the Skokie Village Hall.