Stories to Make You Cringe
Visit the Youth Services "Ask Here" Desk for help in finding these horror stories selected especially for junior high readers. Titles marked with * are available on audio.
- Anderson, M.T. Thirsty. 1997.
Jr. High AND
- From the moment he knows that he is destined to be a vampire, Chris thirsts for the blood of people around him while also struggling to remain human.
- Atwater-Rhodes, Amelia. Demon in My View. 2000.
Jr. High ATW
- Seventeen-year-old Jessica discovers that the vampire world of her fiction is real when she meets a vampire and a teenage witch who is trying to save Jessica from the vampire’s clutches.
- Avi. Wolf Rider. 1986. *
Jr. High AVI
- Will anyone believe that Andy received a call from a man confessing murder, or was it just a prank?
- Cooney, Caroline. Fatality. 2001. *
Jr. High COO
- When Rose was invited to spend the weekend at Angelica’s summer home, she never expected murder, but four years later she is brought into the case again when police discover her diary. Can she get her diary back before all the secrets are revealed?
- Duncan, Lois. I Know What You Did Last Summer. 1973.
Jr. High DUN
- After an accident on a winding road, four teens make the fatal mistake of dumping their victim’s body into the sea, but when the dead man returns, he’s looking for more than just an apology.
- Gaiman, Neil. Coraline. 2002.
Jr. High GAI
- Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.
- Gorog, Judith. When Nobody’s Home: Fifteen Baby-sitting Tales
of Terror. 1996.
Jr. High GOR
- A collection of spine-tingling stories that will make you want to never babysit again!
- Huntington, Geoffrey. Sorcerers of the Nightwing. 2002.
Jr. High HUN
- All his life, Devon March has known he has special talents and that the monsters under the bed and in the closet are real but when he moves into Ravenscliff, he must use his special talents to survive.
- Nixon, Joan Lowery. Whispers From the Dead. 1989. *
Jr. High NIX
- After Sarah Darnell’s near-drowning, she feels haunted by a shadowy ghost-like presence that follows her into her family’s new house where a murder has been committed.
- Poe, Edgar Allan. The Pit and the Pendulum: and Other Stories.
Jr. High POE
- A young man’s search for the truth of his sister’s death uncovers a bizarre and ghastly secret.
- Rees, Celia. Witch Child. 2000.
Jr. High REE
- As a teenager, Mary watched as her grandmother was tortured, tried and finally hung as a witch. Is Mary a witch and will she meet the same doomed death?
- Shan, Darren. Cirque du Freak. 2001.
Jr. High SHA
- When two best friends visit an illegal freak show, an encounter with a vampire and a deadly spider forces one of them to change in ways he never imagined.
- Sleator, William. The Spirit House. 1991.
Jr. High SLE
- Fifteen-year-old Julie investigates the suspicious behavior of the Thai exchange student staying with her family and comes to believe in the wish-granting power of a spirit that appears to have followed him across the ocean.
- Sykes, Shelley. For Mike. 1998.
Jr. High SYK
- As Jeff tries to deal with his best friend’s disappearance at the beginning of their senior year, his sleep is troubled by nightmares in which Mike asks him for help.
- Vande Velde, Vivian. Being Dead: Stories. 2001.
Jr. High VAN
- The author explores the world of the dead-and the undead-in this collection of unnerving tales.
- Zindel, Paul. The Doom Stone. 1995. *
Jr. High ZIN
- After 19 years of peace, a deadly predator has once again begun terrorizing the plain on which Stonehenge lies and it is up to 15-year-old Jackson Cauley to find it before it kills again.