Stories for Laughing Out Loud
... for grades 3 and 4
Click a title to check the Skokie Public Library catalog for the status of the book in the Youth Services collection. Titles marked with * are also available on audio.
- Ahlberg, Allan. The Man Who Wore All His Clothes. 2001.
J Easy Fiction AHL
- A group of bank robbers are successful until they come up against the entire Gaskitt family.
- Ball, Duncan. Selby: The Secret Adventures of a Talking Dog. 1997.
J Easy Fiction BAL
- Selby's major goal is to prevent his owners from learning that he is the world's only talking dog.
- Benton, James K. Lunch Walks Among Us. 2003.
J Easy Fiction BEN
- Franny K. Stein's best friends are bats and snakes, but when she tries to make friends in her class, the experiment goes awry and creates an evil "Lunch Meat Creature."
- Brennan, Herbie and Layton, Neal. Zartog's Remote. 2001.
J Easy Fiction BRE
- An eight-year-old extraterrestrial loses the remote control for his spaceship and unless he gets some help from Earth, he will never find his way home.
- Conford, Ellen. Annabel the Actress Starring in Gorilla My Dreams. 1999.
J Easy Fiction CON
- Annabel finally gets hired to act, but unfortunately, she has to dress as a gorilla at a birthday party.
- Conford, Ellen. The Frog Princess of Pelham. 1997.
J Fiction CON
- When a boy's kiss turns a girl into a frog, he goes through a series of challenges to help her turn back into a girl.
- Cox, Judy. Weird Stories From the Lonesome Café. 2000.
J Easy Fiction COX
- When Sam decides to go to Nevada to run his Uncle Clem's café, he doesn't realize that he will have to serve customers like Elvis and Bigfoot.
- Doyle, Ruddy. The Giggler Treatment. 2000.
J Easy Fiction DOY
- The elf-like gigglers have put into motion a prank which soon becomes too large for them to control.
- Greene, Stephanie. Owen Foote, Super Spy. 2001.
J Easy Fiction GRE
- Owen and the members of his secret spy club decide that it's time they should start spying on their principal at his home.
- Haddad, Charles. Calliope Day Falls – in Love?. 2003.
J Fiction HAD
- Calliope Day is on the hunt for her best friend's secret admirer, but will she fall in love along the way?
- Hale, Bruce. Farewell, My Lunchbag: From the Tattered Casebook of Chet Gecko, Private
J Easy Fiction HAL
- Our hero, Chet Gecko, has been framed for stealing food from the cafeteria but can he catch the real culprit?
- Hornick, Laurie Miller. Zoo School. 2004.
J Easy Fiction HOR
- Five students go to school at the zoo; the classroom smells like "peanuts, elephant poop, and rotten bananas," and classroom jobs include Squirrel Crossing Guard and Hippopotamus Greeter.
- Hurwitz, Johanna. Class Clown. 1987. *
J Easy Fiction HUR
- Can Lucas Cott change his ways and stop being the class clown or will his efforts to be good backfire?
- Korman, Gordon. Nosepickers from Outer Space. 1999.
J Easy Fiction KOR
- Fourth-grader Devin is disappointed in the nerdy exchange student who comes to live with his family, until he realizes that Stan is not from Chicago but from outer space.
- Lauber, Patricia. Purrfectly Purrfect: Life at the Acatemy. 2000.
J Easy Fiction LAU
- Follow the adventures of a group of cats while they attend the Acatemy to learn to be purrfect.
- O'Malley, Kevin. Velcome. 1997.
J Picture Book OMA
- A collection of scary stories that have humorous endings. Some of the items the author uses to scare you in these short stories are a coffin, strange noises, and weird intruders.
- Pilkey, Dav. Ricky Ricotta's Giant Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury: The
Second Robot Adventure Novel. 2000.
J Easy Fiction PIL
- An army of humongous mosquitoes from Mercury have invaded Earth. Earth's only hope is Ricky Ricotta and his giant robot.
- Pinkwater, Daniel. Fat Camp Commandos. 2001.
J Easy Fiction PIN
- A group of friends are upset over being sent to a phony weight loss camp. In a short time, the group escapes and decides to go after the people who believe that thin is better.
- Pinkwater, Daniel. The Lunchroom of Doom. 2000.
J Easy Fiction PIN
- No matter how good you are or how responsible or how loyal, when the wolfbane is in bloom and the moon is full, you may turn into a werewolf.
- Sandburg, Carl. The Huckabuck Family and How They Raised Popcorn in Nebraska and Quit and
Came Back. 1999.
J Easy Fiction SAN
- The Huckabuck family from Nebraska decides it's time for a change when the farm catches on fire and their entire popcorn crop blows up.
- Scieszka, Jon. Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge?. 2002.
J Easy Fiction SCI
- Our heroes Fred, Sam, and Joe use their magical powers to go back into the past in search of their granddaughters who accidentally got transported back to 1877.
- Strasser, Todd. Don't Get Caught Driving the School Bus. 2000.
J Easy Fiction STR
- When a new bus driver, who used to work at a prison, begins to treat the kids like they are criminals, Wilson, Dusty, and Kyle work out a scheme to show the driver exactly who is in charge.
- Winkler, Henry. Day of the Iguana. 2003.
J Fiction WIN
- Hank has never been fond of his sister's pet iguana, and their relationship worsens when she lays her eggs inside his science project.