Library Resource Guide for Homeschoolers
Skokie Public Library offers many items for checkout and in-library use, as well as online resources that can be accessed from home, to enrich your homeschool experience.
Our Youth Services collection holds over 100,000 items that complement your homeschooling curriculum. All books, puppets, and CDs check out for three weeks and may be renewed multiple times. Magazines and DVD's check-out for one week.
- Fiction books are shelved by author and divided into four collections -- Readers, Easy Fiction, Fiction, and Jr. High -- to help you and your child find books that are age- and reading-level appropriate.
- Non-fiction books are shelved by Dewey Decimal number in two collections Nonfiction and Easy Reader Nonfiction. Up to 10 items on one topic may be checked out.
- Non-fiction DVDs are conveniently shelved with non-fiction books of the same topic for easier research.
- Magazines are a great tool for lesson plans and research. Magazines
from the last twelve months are available for check-out with the exception
of the most recent month. Here's just a taste of the magazines we carry
in Youth Services!
In partnership with Niles Township District for Special Education (NTDSE), the Youth Services Staff has been trained to better understand and serve children with disabilities. The Come On In! project offers specialized services, programs, and resources for families and for educators who care for children of varying abilities.
The 14 computers in the Youth Services Computer Lab include Internet access and Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. The Computer Lab also houses a Digital Media Lab with two iMac computers, with many software titles and peripherals that allow you to play and record music; film and edit video recordings; shoot, enhance, and manipulate photos; and create graphic designs. Additional computers in the Youth Services Department are available for educational games. During the school year, the Computer Lab hours are:
- Monday through Friday from 3:00 to 8:45pm (last sign-in at 8:30pm)
Saturday from 9:00am to 5:45pm (last sign-in at 5:30pm)
Sunday from 12:00noon to 5:45pm (last sign-in at 5:30pm)
During extended school breaks, the Computer Lab is open as follows:
- 10:30am to 7:30pm (last sign in at 7:15pm)
Saturday from 10:30am to 5:45pm (last sign-in at 5:30pm)
Sunday from 12:00noon to 5:45pm (last sign-in at 5:30pm)
For more information about the Computer Lab and computer resources for children at Skokie Public Library, call 847.324.3186.
Great sites for homework help!
Skokie Public Library subscribes to Live Homework Help, an online tutoring service that connects students with expert tutors. Children and young adults in Kindergarten through college can log in to Live Homework Help to work with a tutor on math, science, social studies, and English assignments. Students in Kindergarten through 8th grade may access Live Homework Help from the Youth Services Computer Lab during hours that the Lab is open. High school and college students may access Live Homework Help from the Adult Services Computer Lab. Live Homework Help is also available from home for Skokie Public Library cardholders.
For more information about Live Homework Help, call Brad Jones, Youth Technology Librarian, at 847.324.3104.
The Macy’s Museum Adventure Pass program provides discounted admission to many cultural destinations throughout the Chicago area to library card holders at over 140 suburban public libraries. Passes are available for in-person checkout on a first-come, first-served basis at the Youth Services Desk.
Volumed encyclopedias and atlases on geography, world cultures, animals, diseases, inventions, famous people, and more make our reference collection an invaluable tool to researchers.
Kid-friendly databases are useful for finding magazine articles, photographs, and reference information on popular research topics. These databases are available in-Library and via the Internet for Skokie Public Library cardholders.
Web resource Available with Skokie Public Library card Available in Library only
- Britannica Online for Kids
- Retrieve content from Compton's Encyclopedia by Britannica, and Britannica Elementary as well as media, videos, websites, and learning materials. Magazine articles are also available.
- CultureGrams Online
- Country reports about daily life, culture, customs, courtesies, and lifestyles of more than 187 countries and the 50 United States. A photo gallery, famous people collection, and recipes from around the world are also available.
- Early World of Learning from World Book Online
- Early World of Learning offers stories, games, and activities to help early learners build vocabulary, comprehension, phonics, and reading skills. Content includes narrated stories with word-by-word highlighting, interactive games, interactive reference materials for beginners, and more.
- Kids Search from EBSCO
- Search for articles and pictures in this kid-friendly database especially for students in kindergarten through 5th grade. Subjects include animals, art and music, geography, health, news, language arts, math, science, social studies, and sports.
- Science Online from Facts on File
- Science Online contains scientific information for students in all areas of science. Use this resource to find science experiments, videos, diagrams, articles, and biographies of famous scientists.
- Search by keyword or browse by subject for articles from magazines, newspapers, and encyclopedias. Subjects include animals, art and music, health, history, people and places, science and math, sports, and stories. A dictionary, encyclopedia, and picture collection are also available. Designed for students in kindergarten through 8th grade.
- Audio excerpts of book readings by authors and professional actors; original movies featuring authors and illustrators at work in their studios; book discussion guides; and links to author websites, biographies, activities, and contact information. An "Educator Area" provides thematic booklists, information about children's book awards, and links to related resources in twenty-five categories. Content is divided equally between elementary school-aged content and middle/high school-aged content.
- World Book Online Info Finder
- Includes all the articles from the print versions of the World Book Encyclopedia, plus thousands of additional articles, learning resources, and research tools.
To find a book on home schooling using the main search menu of the Library's catalog, enter one of the following:
- Domestic Education
- Education, Preschool
- Education -- Parent participation
- Home Schooling
Titles can also be found by doing a search with the words "home school," "homeschool," and "homeschooling." Type the word "AND" plus other key words to make your search results more specific.