The following websites have been selected by the Youth Services staff for their relevance and value to the homeschool experience.
If you have a favorite website that you’d like to share with other homeschool families, please let us know about it and we’ll add the link to our growing list of online homeschool resources.
- A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling Web Site
- Advice, curriculum information, and chat boards for new and seasoned homeschoolers.
- Another Path: Homeschooling Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children
- A comprehensive guide to homeschooling deaf or hard of hearing children.
- This website provides articles, Web links, and other tools to enrich your homeschool curriculum. The site also offers a free newsletter.
- Home Education Magazine
- Search topics from past and upcoming Home Education Magazine (HEM) issues, subscribe to the online HEM newsletter, join HEM's Networking and Discussion Boards, locate a state or regional support group, view an extensive resource page of book catalogs, correspondence programs, software, learning materials, support groups, curriculum resources, math and science, online resources, and state laws. Register for a free homeschool guide. A great site with a wide range of topics that can be searched by keyword. The print version of Home Education Magazine is available in the Skokie Public Library Youth Services Department.
- Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA)
- Information about homeschool laws, active cases, federal and state legislation, homeschooling in the news; issues such as education, tax, privacy, parental rights, charter schools, religious freedom, state, and international homeschooling issues. A service of the HSLDA, a non-profit advocacy organization established to defend and advance the constitutional right of parents to direct the education of their children and to protect family freedoms.
- Homeschool World
- The official website of Practical Homeschooling Magazine (PHM). Read articles and columns by Mary Pride and other homeschool writers. Join a web board discussion with experts in particular homeschool fields. Special needs, homeschooling overseas, military homeschooling, link to the Home School Legal Defense Association for legal news and information. Includes an events page and a searchable database of upcoming homeschool events by state.
- Homeschooler's Curriculum Swap
- A virtual swap meet of used homeschool items for sale by other homeschool families. Used curriculum books are posted daily. Share ideas and stories on one of the many forums. Membership is required to place ads or post opinions in the forums.
- Homework Spot Homeschooling
- The homeschool section of HomeworkSpot website. Includes an Education Forum, articles, event calendars, discussion boards, a library site for homeschoolers, and links to other homeschool resources.
- This collection of homeschool resources, curriculum, and advice was developed by homeschool parents. A bookstore and homeschool support community are also available. (NOTE: The homeschool support community is a message board; registration is required.)
- Jon's Homeschool Resource Page
- One of the largest and most popular homeschool sites, this page offers answers to frequently asked questions, essays, homeschool handbooks, links to resources, online newsletters, organizations, support groups, and individual family homeschool sites. Questions not answered on the site may be answered by joining news groups, email lists, discussion boards, and local support groups. Links for parenting, Montessori, and Illinois local resources are also available.
- Learn in Freedom!
- Developed by a homeschooling parent in Taiwan who believes that schools are not always necessary for learning. Addresses such issues as socialization, language development, age segregation, college acceptance, and schools and crime. Includes an annotated bibliography of resources, and online and print versions of hard-to-find homeschooling articles.
- New Horizons for Learning
- Dedicated to successful, innovative learning. Share successful educational strategies in a creative format. Good information on learning styles and multiple intelligences.