Homework Help: Current Events
World Wide Web sites
What’s going on in the world? In your state? In your neighborhood? These
websites will help you find out what's going on around the corner, around
the country, and around the world! To connect with news in Skokie and the
local community, visit the SkokieNet Local Media Center.
|Online news sites|
|Major newspapers in and around Chicago|
|Newspapers from around the world|
|Network, cable, and local television news stations|
Web resource Available with Skokie Public Library card Available in Library only
- CNN Student News
- Top news stories written by CNN journalists working with teachers. Appropriate in vocabulary and content for middle school and high school students. Includes teacher resources.
- The New York Times Learning Network
- Online news for students in grades 3 through 12. Includes news summaries, a daily news quiz, news vocabulary words, "Ask a Reporter," and more. Also includes resources for teachers and parents.
- Weekly Reader
- Online version of the Weekly Reader current events newspaper for elementary school students. Site is divided into four sections: pre-K to 6th grade, teens, teachers, and parents.
- The Why Files
- Kid-friendly use of current events to discuss science as an important human endeavor conducted by ordinary people. Includes interactive quizzes and hands-on projects to help students understand issues of health, environment and technology and the process, culture and people that shape the world of science. Designed for grades 5 through 12.
- Chicago Tribune – 1849 to the present via ProQuest
- Search the complete text of the Chicago Tribune from 1849 to the present day. Content from 1849 through 1987 is available as images of the original newspaper so photographs, death notices, cartoons, and advertisements are present and searchable along with article content. Text versions of articles and obituaries only are available from 1987 to the present.
- Pioneer Press
- Online versions of the suburban Chicago Pioneer Press newspapers. Includes links to the Pioneer Press newspapers serving Skokie and surrounding communities.
- Newseum: The Interactive Museum of News
- The Newseum first opened in 1997 to help the public and the news media understand each other better. Today, their website features daily front page headlines from newspapers around the world and a Cyber Newseum of online displays about news events throughout history.
- NewspaperDirect PressDisplay
- Instant online access to over 250 newspapers, from more than 55 countries in 33 languages and all in full page format. Most newspapers are available the day they are published with a 60-day backfile available online.
- An index of links to online newspapers from around the world. Organized by state, region, and country.
- CBS 2 News (WBBM-TV)
- Local and national news, weather, and sports from Chicago's CBS newsroom.
- NBC5.com (WMAQ-TV)
- Local, national, world, and political news from Chicago's NBC newsroom.
- ABC7 News (WLS-TV)
- Local news and world headlines from Chicago's ABC newsroom.
- News, business, and technology headlines from Chicago's WGN newsroom. Includes an archive of older news stories from morning, noon, evening, and weekend news broadcasts.
- Fox Chicago
- Local headlines from Chicago's WFLD newsroom. Includes links to national headlines.
- The Weather Channel
- Weather news from around the world. Includes breaking weather stories, features, and special reports.