Voice of Youth Award Books 2009-2010
3rd and 4th grade
Click a title to check the Skokie Public Library catalog for the status of the book in the Youth Services collection. Titles marked with * are also available on audio and/or downloadable digital formats.
- Berlin, Eric. The Puzzling World of Winston Breen: The Secret in the Box. 2007.
- Winston, who loves puzzles, gives his younger sister a box and discovers the box has a false bottom that contains wooden strips with numbers and letters on them. When Winston and his sister find other people with similar wooden strips, they are led into a dangerous treasure hunt in an attempt to solve the mystery.
- Birney, Betty. The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs. 2005. *
- Eben has lived his whole life in Sassafras Springs and is bored and tired and wants to see the world, especially since reading about the Seven Wonders of the World. When his father challenges him to find seven wonders in Sassafras Springs in only seven days, his adventure begins. Will Eben succeed and win a train ticket to Colorado?
- Boniface, William. The Hero Revealed. 2006.
- Ordinary Boy is the only one in Superopolis with no superpowers. On the other hand, some of the powers his friends have aren’t so super: Stench lives up to his name and Halogen Boy isn’t too bright. But, while helping the Amazing Indestructo foil Professor Brain-Drain’s evil plot to take over the city, it turns out that Ordinary Boy isn’t so ordinary.
- Curtis, Christopher Paul. Mr. Chickee’s Funny Money. 2005. *
- In this fast-paced and funny mystery, Steven must prove that the quadrillion dollar bill given to him by his neighbor, Mr. Chickee, is real. Then, with help from his friend, Russell, and Russell’s huge dog, Zoopy, Steven must make sure that the U.S. Treasury Department doesn’t get their hands on it.
- Gifford, Peggy Elizabeth. Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little. 2007. *
- If Moxy doesn’t finish reading Stuart Little by the time summer vacation is over, her mother won’t let her be in the water ballet at the local pool. There are just too many other things to do: clean her room, train the dog, plant a peach orchard. Will Moxy get the book read before school starts?
- Kerley, Barbara. The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins: An Illuminating History of Mr. Waterhouse Hawkins, Artist and Lecturer. 2001.
- In a time before most people had even heard of dinosaurs, Waterhouse Hawkins, a 19th century artist, built life-sized models of dinosaurs in order to introduce them to the world. This fascinating and true story tells how one man followed his dreams.
- Lin, Grace. The Year of the Dog. 2006. *
- Pacy rings in the Chinese New Year by celebrating and learning about the Year of the Dog, the year people traditionally “find themselves.” During the year, she makes a new friend and figures out what she wants to do with her life in this charming story.
- Lubar, David. Punished! 2006.
- When the mysterious stranger Logan runs into “punishes” him, Logan can only speak in puns. To overcome this curse, he learns he must use all his problem-solving skills to collect oxymorons, anagrams, and palindromes–seven of each–in three days or he will be doomed to speak this way forever.
- MacDonald, Alan. Trolls, Go Home! 2007.
- Where did the trolls go after being tossed off the bridge by the three billy goats? They settle down in a distressingly nice, clean, and quiet suburb and, in spite of their differences, try to fit in with their neighbors.
- Weeks, Sarah. Oggie Cooder. 2008.
- Oggie is considered quirky and weird by the other kids, until he wins a spot on a T.V. show for his ability to chew cheese into the shapes of states. Will Oggie be able to resist people trying to change him because he is now famous, or will he be able to remain true to himself?