Youth Services Digital Media Lab
at Skokie Public Library
Come on over to the Youth Services Computer Lab and check out this awesome space! The Digital Media Lab is where kids can play and record music; film and edit their own video recordings; shoot, enhance, and manipulate photos; and create graphic designs!
For more information, stop in and say hello or call the Youth Services Computer Lab at 847.324.3186.
|How can I use the Digital Media Lab?|
|When is the Digital Media Lab open?|
|What computers and equipment are available?|
|What software is available?|
|Is there anyone to help me in the Digital Media Lab?|
Children in 8th grade and younger may use the Digital Media Lab (DML) while accompanied by a parent with a Skokie Public Library card, or on their own by presenting a DML Access Card. Only Skokie Public Library cardholders with signed parental consent may acquire a DML Access Card. Cards are issued by staff in the Youth Services Computer Lab.
The following rules apply:
- DML users must sign in with a Computer Lab Assistant.
- There is a two hour limit per day. If others are waiting, the limit is reduced to one hour.
- A computer may be reserved up to one week in advance.
- Two children are allowed to a station; each child must present a DML Access card
- All general behavioral rules for the Library apply in the Youth DML.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the Youth DML.
- Peripheral devices (e.g., camera, Bamboo pad) are to be used in the Youth DML only.
- The Internet is not accessible on the iMacs but can be accessed on the Dell computers.
- Data can be transferred between computers using the DML external hard drive.
- Users must save their projects to an external source (e.g., hard drive, flash drive).
The Youth Digital Media Lab is open during the Youth Computer Lab operating hours:
- Monday thru Friday from 3:00pm to 8:45pm
- Saturday from 9:00am to 5:45pm
- Sunday from 12:00pm to 5:45pm
Operating hours vary during spring, summer, and winter break.
Apple iMac desktops (4)
Sony Bloggie video camera
Bamboo drawing tablet
Yeti microphones (2)
Nikon Coolpix camera
External hard drive
- Comic Life
- Photo Booth
- Photoshop Elements
The Youth Computer Lab Assistants are available to help kids sign in and troubleshoot problems. During spring, summer, and winter breaks, Youth Services DML users may sign up for classes such as a DML Orientation, Digital Craft Time, or One-on-One Instruction. Additional instruction can be found on the Internet & Computers resources page of the Library website.